Department of Chemistry has started in the year 2011. The Department is teaching Applied Chemistry at the first year level of all branches of engineering courses both in theory and practical. The VTU curriculum is designed according to the requirements of all the branches of Engineering.
Department has well established research laboratory for pursuing research on Medicinal Chemistry, Drug Discovery, Materials Science, Catalysis, etc. The faculty members of the department are executing the funded research projects for DST, SERB, VGST etc., The Department is recognized as a research center by VTU for offering Ph.D. Programme. The research work of the faculty members has been highlighted in well Published reputed Journals. The Department has well equipped sophisticated instrument facilities like Microwave Oven (20litres Capacity), UV-Chamber, Hot Air Oven, Digitalized Melting Point Apparatus, Muffle Furnace, Rota Vapor.etc.
• To develop young minds in a learning environment of high academic ambience by synergizing spiritual Values and Technological competence.
• To keep the future engineers and young researches abreast with new concepts and latest developments.
• To provide the knowledge of applied chemistry to the students and exposure to laboratory work using analytic instruments.
• To plan the development of chemical education, to establish value-based and need based education and training in chemical science with view to generate qualified, complete manpower, responsive to technological and societal needs.
• To take up collaborative research projects in the applied field.
• To provide opportunities to the students and the staff to expose their talents in technical exhibitions, seminars, workshops and conferences.
• To achieve over all development of the students by paying individual attention through interaction and counseling.
CO1: Discuss the electrochemical energy systems such as electrodes and batteries.
CO2: Explain the fundamental concepts of corrosion, its control and surface modification methods namely electroplating and electroless plating.
CO3: Enumerate the importance, synthesis and applications of polymers. Understand properties and applications of nano-materials.
CO4: Describe the principles of green chemistry, understand properties and application of alternative fuels.
CO5: Illustrate the fundamental principles of water chemistry, applications of volumetric and analytical instrumentation.